- Sociological Theory and Analysis of Contemporary Societies
- Sociology of Knowledge and Culture
- Discourse Research and Theory (the Sociology of Knowledge Approach to Discourse)
- Sociology of Societal Relationship to Nature (Risk, Technology, Environment)
- Qualitative Methods
- French Sociology
CV in English
- German Sociological Association (DGS), Board member since 2015, Sections Sociology of knowledge, Environment and Society, Qualitative research methods
- DGS Section Sociology of knowledge (Chairman 2011-2016)
- Association Internationale des Sociologues de Langue Française (AISLF)
- International Sociological Association (ISA)
- European Sociological Association (ESA)
- German University Association
- Association Francophone pour la recherche qualitative (founding office)
- Jakob-Fugger-Zentrum (JFZ), Member of the board of directors, Fellowship in the summer semester of 2014
The registration for courses takes place on Digicampus.
2018: Reiner Keller, Anna-Katharina Hornridge, Wolf J Schünemann: The Sociology of Knowledge Approach to Discourse. Abingdon: Routledge
SKAD is anchored in interpretive traditions of inquiry and allows for broadening – and possibly overcoming – of the epistemological biases and restrictions still common in theories and approaches of Western- and Northern-centric social sciences. An innovative volume, this book is exactly attentive to these empirically based, globally diverse further developments of approach, with a clear focus on the methodology and its implementation. Thus, The Sociology of Knowledge Approach to Discoursepresents itself as a research program and locates the approach within the context of interpretive social sciences, followed by eleven chapters on different cases from around the world that highlight certain theoretical questions and methodological challenges.
2012: Reiner Keller: Doing Discourse Research. An Introduction for Social Scientists. Thousand Oaks: SAGE Publications Inc.
This book provides an introduction to the basic principles of discourse research, offering practical research strategies for doing discourse analyses in the social sciences. The book includes guidance on developing a research question, selecting data and analyzing it, and presenting the results. The author has extensive practical experience in the field of discourse research and shows, throughout, how the methods suggested are compatible with numerous research questions and problems in sociology, cultural, political and social studies and related disciplines.
A Selection of English Journal Articles
Keller, Reiner & Poferl, Angelika (2020). Epistemic Cultures in Sociology Between Individual Inspiration and Legitimization by Procedure: Developments of Qualitative and Interpretive Research in German and French Sociology Since the 1960s [97 paragraphs]. Forum Qualitative Sozialforschung / Forum: Qualitative Social Research, 17(1), Art. 14.
Has Critique Run Out of Steam? On Discourse Research as Critical Inquiry. In: Qualitative Inquiry, 2016 (July), pp. 1-11.
Entering Discourses: A New Agenda for Qualitative Research and Sociology of Knowledge. In: Qualitative Sociology Review 2012, Vol. VIII Issue 2, S.46-55.
The Sociology of Knowledge Approach to Discourse (SKAD), in: Human Studies 2011, 34 (1) S.43-65.