Tips for International Students - How do I finance my studies in Germany?


Students from non-EU-countries have to proof at the foreign authority that they have enough money for living in Germany for at least one year. The foreign law is bound on the Federal Training Assistance Act (BAföG). You need a proof of at least 10.332,- euros (861,- euros per month).



There are the following options:

  • either the confirmation of financial support (“Verpflichtungserklärung“) from a person according to §68 “Aufenthaltsgesetz“


  • Blocked account at a bank in Germany with an investment amount of 10,332 euros. Starting with the winter semester 2022, the blocked account will be mandatory in the city of Augsburg. Until then, students in Augsburg have the option to prove the investment amount in the current account as before or to present a blocked account. If the blocked account is presented, the residence permit will generally be issued for two years.

    Translated with (free version)


  • Notification of a scholarship, e.g. by the DAAD, from which it follows that you have at least 861,- euros per month at your disposal.


  • Important! Certification drawn up by notaries abroad or in Germany will not be accepted by the foreign authority. Sometimes, a German Embassy will accept notarial attestation for a visa application. However, this is not sufficient for a residence permit.