Five steps to gaining a residence permit

Important information for students from non EU countries who have just arrived in Augsburg


After entering Germany, you are by law required to register at the Foreigners Registration Office (Ausländerbehörde) in Augsburg. This has to be done within two weeks. In Germany, each citizen is obliged to register, including Germans. Anyone who fails to register in the given time will be fined. You have entered Germany with a visa. This visa is valid for three months. Please look at your passport to see when your visa expires. It is important that your visa is replaced by a residence permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis) before it expires. (Please note: it can take up to 6 weeks before you receive the electronic residence card.) If your visa is no longer valid and you do not have a residence permit, you will be required to leave Germany. That is why it is important to apply for a residence permit in time. Please read the following five steps.


  • Step 1: Flat-hunting & registering
  • Step 2: Opening a bank account & providing proof of financial support
  • Step 3: Health insurance
  • Step 4: Matriculation
  • Step 5: Applying for your residence permit


Step 1: Flat-hunting & registering

The first important step is to look for an apartment because you need proof of a residential address to register. A confirmation of the landlord/provider of housing space ("Wohnungsgeberbestätigung") in order to register the apartment in the city of Augsburg is obligatory. The provider of housing space is either your landlord, a person mandated by your landlord or the main tenant if you are a subtenant.

Important! You are not allowed to live with a friend/acquaintance/relative in a hall of residence.

Where can I register? You are kindly asked to go to the Hochschulbetreuungsstelle in the Eichleitnerstraße 30. Here you will find both the registration office and the Service Centre for Augsburg’s universities. What do you need to bring along? Please bring along your passport and the filled confirmation "Wohnungsgeberbestätigung" if you want to register your new apartment. Registration is free of charge.


Step 2: Opening a bank account & proof of financial support

If you wish to stay in Germany for longer than 3 months, you will need to open an account at a bank. Please note that most banks offer student accounts free of charge. In order to open a student account you will need your certificate of matriculation (Immatrikulationsbescheiningung) or notification of admission (Zulassungsbescheid) and the registration confirmation (Anmeldebestätigung).

Why do you need a bank account? The payment of rent and health insurance is arranged through your bank account. In addition, you need to be able to prove that you have enough money to live in Germany to be eligible for a residence permit. By law, you need a minimum monthly sum of 720,-Euro. There are 3 ways of proving that you have sufficient financial support:


1. Open a bank account in Germany with 8640 Euro in it.

2. Declaration of liability (“Verpflichtungserklärung nach § 68 AufenthG): please ask the German Embassy or the officers of the Ausländerbehörde der Stadt Augsburg.

3. Notification of a scholarship, e.g. by the DAAD, from which it follows that you have at least 720 Euro per month at your disposal.


Important! Certification drawn up by notaries abroad or in Germany will not be accepted by the Ausländerbehörde. Sometimes, a German Embassy will accept notarial attestation for a visa application. However, this is not sufficient for a residence permit.


Step 3: Health insurance

German health insurance is compulsory. There are a number of health insurances in Germany. We regret that we are not authorized to assist you in choosing your medical cover. There are statutory and private health insurances. For further information please contact Tino Steudel at the Studentenwerk Augsburg.


You will require written confirmation that you have sufficient health insurance cover for your residence permit and enrolment at a university. Please ask your health insurance company to provide you with this statement. Residence permits can only be issued for the period of time for which you have health insurance.



Step 4: Matriculation

Before you can enrol at a university, you are required to pay the semester contribution of  114,85 € Euro via bank transfer (student union fees and semester ticket for public transport).

Please do not forget to ask for a receipt as proof that you have paid this registration fee to the University of Augsburg respectively the Augsburg University of Applied Sciences. Only then you are able to enrol at your university. The Registrar’s Office ( Studentenkanzlei) will advise you as to which documents you are required to submit. You will then receive your matriculation certificate, student ticket for buses and trams, student identity card and your library/mensa card.



Step 5: Applying for a residence permit

A residence permit can be requested after your arrival. For example you could apply for a residence permit and register your new address on the same day. Please note that it takes up to 6 weeks for an electronic residence permit to be delivered. The application for a residence permit must be finished before your visa expires! Come to the Foreigners Registration Office (Ausländerbehörde) in good time before your visa expires - even if you do not have all required documents. If you do not apply for a residence permit early enough, then you will have to return to your home country.


Documents needed for students from outside of the EU:

  • white application form (available at the Foreigners Registration Office)
  • passport
  • copy of passport
  • 2 recent biometric passport sized photos
  • current enrolment certificate ("Immatrikulationsbescheinigung")
  • proof of financial support* (3 ways: account balancing at 8640 Euro or “Verpflichtungserklärung §68 AufenthG or Scholarship)
  • proof of health insurance
  • 100 euros

*►Good to know!  As the BaföG rate has recently raised the proof for foreign students also raised. 

From the  1st of january 2020 the proof of financial means  has to be given for 10.236,- euro (853 euro per month)