After you graduated from a German university and received your certificate you are allowed to apply for an 18-month job searching residence permit.


You can look for a job corresponding to your academic qualification while you have a full work permit with no restrictions. That gives you the chance to work in any kind of job or do an internship untill you find a proper job. 


Important! The 18 month job searching residence permit can not be extended.


Documents required to apply for the 18 month job searching permit:

  • passport (+residence permit, + green paper)
  • application form („Antrag auf Verlängerung)
  • one recent biometric passport photo (not older than six months)
  • leaving certificate (or document that you have completed your degree successfully)
  • proof of current health insurance cover
  • proof of sufficient financial resources (8640 euros in an account in Germany, or a statement of commitment in accordance with § 68 of the German Residence Act)
  • 93 Euros  (you can pay only with ec-card)