Basic Information

Students of the University of Augsburg with Non-EU citzienship must clarify their residence status in Germany as well as their status in the host country prior to the study abroad semester. As this may take a lot of time, please take care of this matter as soon as possible!


When planning your semester abroad, you should bear in mind that every residence title expires if you stay outside Germany for more than 6 months per year. Multiple stays abroad are counted together. 


Example: Semester abroad in Sweden from the beginning of January to the beginning of May, stay in your home country from the middle of May to the middle of July. This means that the 6 months have been exceeded. Your residence permit has expired. You can no longer enter Germany without a visa. 

Your residence permit in Germany

Please report the planned semester abroad to the "Ausländerbehörde" in Germany immediately:

  • Students who have their residence in the city of Augsburg should contact the " Hochschulbetreuungsstelle". Students who live in the district of Augsburg should contact the district office (" Landratsamt"). Students whose place of residence is neither in the city nor in the district of Augsburg, please also contact the Hochschulbetreuungsstelle for individual information on which office to contact.
  • Please clarify how the outgoing mobility will affect your residency permit for Germany: For example, does your German residency permit expire when you go abroad? Do you need a new visa for re-entering Germany? Do you need an extension of your residency permit to cover the entire duration of your exchange abroad?

Visa for the host country

Take care of the visa for your host country as soon as possible:

  • Get all the information about visa procedures and prerequisites from the Consulate of your host country (requirements, restrictions etc.)
  • If you are doing your semester abroad as part of the Erasmus programme, you may be eligible for a residence certificate under the so-called "REST Directive". Find out more about this from your host university abroad (see below).
  • Compile all the necessary documents and start to apply for a visa as early as possible.
  • The websites and contact details of all diplomatic missions (embassies and consulates) of other states in Germany can be found here:

Get in touch with your host university about your visa requirements:

  • Your host university has received details about your nationality with the nomination and should be aware of your visa requirements. However, it is advisable to point out your situation to the staff members anyway and ask for information and support.
  • Many universities can offer information guides or other services. It might even be possible to issue your Letter of Acceptance earlier than usual since you need it for your visa application.