We always encourage the application of motivated and talented students interested in developing a PhD work in the areas of functional structural materials, 2D Materials and colloidal processing.
Bachelor- and Mastertheses
Fabrication and characterization of a 3D printable ceramic MXene composite material in cooperation with EMPA (Switzerland).
The professorship Processing of Complex Structured Materials for Demanding Environments investigates how 2D materials (MXenes) can be incorporated into ceramics to enable functional applications. Additive manufacturing techniques will be used for this purpose.
In cooperation with the Laboratory for High Performance Ceramics at EMPA (Switzerland), various material combinations will be investigated for their 3D printability as part of a master's thesis. This will be followed by a characterization of the manufactured samples.
- Pellet and/or filament production from the starting materials
- Investigation of various parameters before and during the printing process
- Characterization of additively manufactured components
- Master's students in natural or engineering science with a focus on materials science
- Enjoy practical laboratory work
- Interest in the field of additive manufacturing/3D printing
- Independent and conscientious way of working, as well as ability to work in a team
The main time of the work will be in Switzerland at EMPA. Accommodation for this will be provided by EMPA, plus an allowance of CHF 850 per month. Start of this thesis will be in Spring 2023, an induction as a research assistant or a lab-project is possible.
We offer an exciting working environment with insight into the further development of additive manufacturing of functional ceramics, with the opportunity to contribute your own ideas and implement them practically as part of the work.
Michéle Scholl Room W-3019
Phone: +49 821 598-69231
If you are interested in working as a research assistant, feel free to reach out to us.