Prof. Katharina Waha
Professor for Climate Resilience of human made ecosystems
Centre for Climate Resilience
- Climate change impacts and adaptation
- Agricultural geography
- Agricultural systems analysis and modelling
Associated research themes
- Agro-ecosystem functioning
- Sustainable agricultural development
- Plant physiology
- Socio-economic development
- Agricultural economics
- Tropical agriculture
- Spatial data and applications
- Professor for Climate resilience of human made ecosystems, 2023-
- Postdoctoral Fellow, CSIRO, 2014-2017
- Visiting Fellow, CSIRO, Brisbane, 2012
- Postdoctoral Fellow, PIK, 2013-2014
- PhD, Environmental Sciences, University of Potsdam, 2013
- MSc, Geography, University of Leipzig, 2008
- ZOOMAL: Evaluating zoonotic malaria transmission and agricultural and forestry land use in Indonesia (Partner, 2020-, Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research)
- Climate Services for Agriculture (CSA) program (Senior researcher, 2022-2023, Australian Government Department for Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry)
- Changes in summer rainfall and implications for agriculture in Australia(PI, 2019-2020, Australian R&D program Managing Climate Variability)
- Climate-smart dairy systems in East Africa through improved forage and feeding strategies: Enhancing productivity and adaptive capacity while mitigating greenhouse gas emissions (Partner, 2018-2019, International Fund for Agricultural Development)
- Cross-scale crop modelling and uncertainties in input and validation data (PI, 2013-2014, CSIRO)
- Katharina Waha, Sanara Hor, Andy Hulthen, Francelino A. Rodrigues Jr., Urs Schulthess, Francois Waldner, Mapping smallholder agriculture: need for better integration of remote sensing and agricultural surveys.
- Uwe Grewer, Christopher O'Donnell, Peter de Voil, Katharina Waha, Donald S. Gaydon, Daniel Rodriguez, Impacts of seasonal weather conditions in smallholder agriculture. Comparing model specifications in climate econometrics.
- Francesco Tacconi, Darcy Lefroy, Katharina Waha, Jonathan Jesus Ojeda, Peat Leith, Caroline Mohammed, Agricultural diversity, farmers’ definitions and uses: the case of Tasmanian farms.
- Uwe Grewer, Dong-Hyuk Kim, Katharina Waha, Too much, too soon? The susceptibility of early-maturing maize varieties to water stress in Malawi, in prep.
- Anna Schlingmann, Santiago Alvarez-Fernandez, Sonia Graham, David García-del-Amo, Petra Benyei, Marta Rosell Codina, Francesca Borghesi, Katharina Waha, Victoria Reyes-García, What determines local adaptation to climate change? A global assessment of drivers, constraints and opportunities in Indigenous Peoples and local communities, in prep.
- Cecile Godde, Jeda Palmer, Sinead Boylan, Katharina Waha, Zaynel Sushil, Joshua Aboah, Sazzad Hussain, Stephen McFallan, Peggy Schrobback. Resilience of local foodsheds under local and global change: a horticulture case-study in Queensland, Australia, in prep.
- Katharina Waha & Chris Folberth (shared first authorship), Albert Nkwasa, Alberte Bondeau, Andy Hartley, Camilla Mathison, Christoph Mueller, Esther Boere, Gerrit Hoogenboom, Hester Biemans, Karina Williams, Koen de Vos, Qiangyi Yu, Stefan Olin, Xiaobo Wang, Yuan Liu, Alex Ruane, Jonas Jaegermeyr. Land use modelling needs to better account for multiple cropping to inform pathways for sustainable agriculture, in prep.
Community services, Assessments, Professional memberships
- Associate Editor, Current Research in Environmental Sustainability (2023-)
- Associate Editor, Food Security (2019-2023)
- Contributing Author of Working Group II of the IPCC Sixth Assessment Report
- Contributing Author of the IPCC Special Report on Climate Change and Land. An IPCC Special Report on climate change, desertification, land degradation, sustainable land management, food security, and greenhouse gas fluxes in terrestrial ecosystems.
- Mitherausgeberin des Weltbankberichts "Turn Down the Heat: Confronting the New Climate Normal"
- The Agricultural Model Intercomparison and Improvement Project (AgMIP) (2011-)
- Global Land Program (GLP), a global research project of FutureEarth (2017-)
- German Geographical Society (DGfG) (2017-)
- Julius Career Award 2023 (CSIRO)
- Ruby Payne-Scott Award 2016 (CSIRO)
- Franceso Tacconi, PhD student, Benefits and tradeoffs of agricultural diversity, 2019-2023.Francesco is now a Postdoctoral Fellow at CSIRO.
- Joseph Menesch, Data Science Capstone project, 2022-2023. Joseph is now a PhD student at the University of Queensland.
- Eloise Stephenson, Research Technician, 2015. Eloise is now a PhD student at Griffith University.