Master degree program: Computer Science & Multimedia
What to expect
The Master's program in Computer Science & Multimedia is based upon the Bachelor's program in Computer Science (or closely related fields of study). An admission for students from other disciplines is only possible if additional requirements are fulfilled that ensure the same level of knowledge.
It provides broad and solid methodological knowledge and in-depth training in theoretical, practical, and technical computer science, as well as the ability to work independently and critically using scientific methods. Unlike the Bachelor's program, there are only a few mandatory requirements, but there is a very extensive elective program. This allows you to acquire a broad knowledge base or to specialize in an area of your choice based on your preferences and interests.
Small group sizes in lectures, projects, and seminars offer excellent and individual support.
With this knowledge and these methods, you will be optimally prepared for challenging and exciting jobs in research and development that are not limited to academia.
Campus university with a lake and a park landscape
Small group sizes in lectures and internships offer excellent and individual support
Renowned Faculty of Computer Science according to the CHE-Ranking
Individual focus areas due to flexible course selection
Easy start through offers by students of the department (also outside the university)
Study trips to cooperation partners in research and industry
With a degree in computer science, access is open to a wide range of careers in the sector of computer science and IT, including:
- Software engineering
- Systems analysis
- Process automation
- Data analysis / Big Data
- AI / Machine Learning
As a modern interdisciplinary science, computer science supports the process of digitalisation in many areas of application. The knowledge gained from the subsidiary subjects also offers graduates many opportunities to apply the knowledge acquired during their studies in other fields.
The Master's program in Computer Science & Multimedia is divided into eight module groups, each requiring a specific number of credit points to be achieved. The specific courses you want to take within each module group are flexible.
- Three module groups cover the small mandatory portions (5 CP each) in theoretical, practical, and technical computer science, respectively.
- In the Multimedia study area, you will learn methods for analyzing and utilizing modern digital media.
- Seminars and projects allow you to gain a deeper understanding of specific conceptual and practical topics as well as to work on them, respectively.
- In the elective area, you can create your own focus areas by choosing from a selection of lectures and practical courses.
- During the Master's thesis (which takes a whole semester full-time), you will apply your knowledge to research-oriented problems or application areas. Furthermore, an external reference, e. g. to the industry, is also possible.
The program puts special emphasis on the following areas:
- Bioinformatics and Medical Informatics
- Digital Health, Human-Computer Interaction
- AI: Language recognition and image recognition
- Process Mining
- Software Engineering, secure systems
- Databases, Big Data, Data Science
- Embedded Systems, Processor Architecture
- Organic Computing
- Industry 4.0
Current information on the degree programme, admission procedure and application as well as current dates can be found on the homepage of the Faculty of Applied Computer Science:
General information on studying at the University of Augsburg can be found on the following webpage: