Application documents

  • Secondary school leaving certificate (middle school, high school, etc.)
  • Where applicable, university degree certificate, academic transcript (including an overview of subjects taken and grades), or university entrance examination.
  • APS certificate for certificates issued in China, India, and Vietnam
  • Certificate from the office for the recognition of non-German certificates and diplomas (Zeugnisanerkennungsstelle). This is mandatory for applications for human medicine ( Humanmedizin)!
  • For doctoral degrees, in addition to degree certificates, confirmation of doctoral supervision including a statement about whether German language skills are necessary or sufficient.

If the above documents are neither in German nor English, a certified translation of all documents by a sworn translator in Germany must be submitted.


COPIES will only be accepted if the originals are presented or if the documents are officially certified. Official certifications can be issued by


  • a city/municipal administrator,
  • a notary,
  • other seal-bearing institutions (such as the parish offices), or
  • the institution that issued the certificate.