Born in Immenstadt, Allgäu. Teacher training (2009–2014), Master of Education with a specialization in Educational-Psychological Research (2013–2014), and Bachelor of Mathematics (2011–2012) at the University of Augsburg, including an Erasmus-scholarship in Turin, Italy (2011–2012). Student associate and tutor (2011–2014), and since 2014 research fellow at the Department of Psychology at the University of Augsburg (2011–2014). Doctoral studies within the graduate program of “Empirical Educational Research” at the Graduate School of Humanities and Social Sciences (GGS) in Augsburg, with a scholarship from the German National Academic Foundation. Research stay at the Approach-Avoidance Motivation Research Group (Prof. Andrew Elliot) at the University of Rochester (USA) in 2016. Finished his Ph.D. in Psychology at the University of Augsburg in 2017 on the topic of university scholars’ motivations for teaching and research, for which he received the University of Augsburg Award in 2018. Since July 2019, Dr. Daumiller is a fellow at the College for Interdisciplinary Educational Research (CIDER).
Motivation and fostering of motivation in educational settings
Goals and Achievement Goal Theory
Experiences, behaviors, and performance of university scholars
Learning with digital media in the tertiary sector
10 Selected publications:
- Daumiller, M. (2018). Motivation von Wissenschaftlern in Lehre und Forschung: Struktur, Eigenschaften, Bedingungen und Auswirkungen selbstbezogener Ziele. Wiesbaden: Springer VS. https://doi.org/10/csf.
- Daumiller, M., Bieg, S., Dickhäuser, O., & Dresel, M. (2019). Humor in university teaching: Role of teachers’ achievement goals and self-efficacy for their use of content-related humor. Studies in Higher Education. Advanced online publication. https://doi.org/10.1080/03075079.2019.1623772. PsyArXiv:hs8gn.
- Daumiller, M., Dickhäuser, O., & Dresel, M. (2019). University instructors’ achievement goals for teaching. Journal of Educational Psychology, 111(1), 131–148. https://dx.doi.org/10/csd7. PsyArXiv:pbmxy.
- Daumiller, M., & Dresel, M. (2019). Supporting self-regulated learning with digital media using motivational regulation and metacognitive prompts. Journal of Experimental Education, 87(1), 161–176. https://doi.org/10.1080/00220973.2018.1448744.
- Daumiller, M., & Dresel, M. (2020). Researchers’ achievement goals, work stress, and professional development: Results of three studies. Contemporary Educational Psychology, 61, 101843. Advanced online publication. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cedpsych.2020.101843. PsyArXiv:3cj5z.
- Daumiller, M.* und Janke, S.* (2019). The impact of performance goals on cheating depends on how performance is evaluated. AERA Open, 5(4), 1–10. https://dx.doi.org/10.1177/2332858419894276
- Daumiller, M. und Janke, S. (2020). Effects of performance goals and social norms on academic dishonesty in a test. British Journal of Educational Psychology, 90, 537–559. https://doi.org/10.1111/bjep.12310.
- Daumiller, M., Siegel, S., & Dresel, M. (2019). Construction and validation of a Short Multidisciplinary Research Performance Questionnaire (SMRPQ). Research Evaluation, 28(3), 241–252. https://doi.org/10.1093/reseval/rvz009.
- Daumiller, M., Stupnisky, S., & Janke, S. (2020). Motivation of higher education faculty: Theoretical approaches, empirical evidence, and future directions [Editorial]. International Journal of Educational Research, 20. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijer.2019.101502.
- Wisniewski, B., Zierer, K., Dresel, M., & Daumiller, M. (2020). Obtaining secondary students’ perceptions of instructional quality: Two-level structure and measurement invariance. Learning and Instruction, 66, 101303. Advanced online publication. https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.learninstruc.2020.101303
American Educational Research Association (AERA)
AERA Special Interest Group Motivation in Education
European Association for Research on Learning and Instruction (EARLI)
Junior Researchers of The European Association for Research on Learning and Instruction (JURE)
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Psychologie (DGPs) [German Psychological Society]
Fachgruppe Pädagogische Psychologie der DGPs [DGPs Division Pedagogical Psychology]
Gesellschaft für empirische Bildungsforschung (GEBF) [Society for Empirical Educational Research]
Reviewer activities (selection)
International Journal of Educational Research (Guest Editor) | Psychological Bulletin | Learning and Instruction | Journal of Educational Psychology | Journal of Personnel Psychology | Motivation and Emotion | Studies in Higher Education | European Physical Education Review | Asia Pacific Education Review | International Journal of Educational Research | Studies in Educational Evaluation | Unterrichtswissenschaft/Teaching Science | Learning and Motivation | Behavioral Sciences | Sustainability | Teaching and Teacher Education | Vocations and Learning | International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health | AERA Open | Studies in Educational Evaluation | Prävention und Gesundheitsförderung/Prevention and Health Fostering | Education Sciences | British Journal of Educational Psychology | Zeitschrift für Erziehungswissenschaft/Journal for Studies in Education | AERA and EARLI Conference Reviews for AERA, EARLI, GEBF, and GfHf | Frontline Learning Research | Learning and Individual Differences | Frontiers in Psychology | Reflective Practice | Journal for Educational Research Online | Admission Seminars of the German Academic Scholarship Foundation