Dr. Martin Daumiller is an assistant professor at the University of Augsburg, Germany and a fellow at the College for Interdisciplinary Educational Research (CIDER). He completed his teacher training (2009–2014), a Master of Education with a specialization in Educational-Psychological Research (2013–2014), and a Bachelor of Mathematics (2011–2012) at the University of Augsburg, including an Erasmus-scholarship in Turin, Italy (2011–2012). He was a student associate and tutor (2011–2014), and a research fellow in the Department of Psychology at the University of Augsburg (2011–2014). He completed his doctoral studies within the graduate program of “Empirical Educational Research” at the Graduate School of Humanities and Social Sciences (GGS) in Augsburg, with a scholarship from the German National Academic Foundation. He finished his Ph.D. in Psychology at the University of Augsburg in 2017 on the topic of university scholars’ motivations for teaching and research, for which he received the University of Augsburg Award in 2018. He pursued multiple research stays abroad, including the University of Rochester (USA) and the University of Korea (South Korea). He received the Robert J. Menges New Researcher Award 2020 granted by the AERA FTED SIG and serves as Junior Coordinator of the EARLI Motivation and Emotion SIG and as Co-Chair of the Early Career Scholars Committee of the AERA Motivation SIG.
Motivation and fostering of motivation in educational settings
Goals and Achievement Goal Theory
Experiences, behaviors, and performance of university scholars
Learning with digital media in the tertiary sector
- Daumiller, M., Janke, S., Hein, J., Rinas, R., Dickhäuser, O., & Dresel, M. (2021). Do teachers’ achievement goals and self-efficacy beliefs matter for students’ learning experiences? Evidence from two studies on perceived teaching quality and emotional experiences. Learning and Instruction. Advanced online publication. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.learninstruc.2021.101458. PsyArXiv:5926v.
- Daumiller, M., Rinas, R., Hein, J., Janke, S., Dickhäuser, O., & Dresel, M. (2021). Shifting from face-to-face to online teaching during COVID-19: The role of university faculty achievement goals for attitudes towards this sudden change, and their relevance for burnout/engagement and student evaluations of teaching quality. Computers in Human Behavior, 118, 106677. Advanced online publication. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2020.106677. PsyArXiv:yuwh8.
- Daumiller, M., Rinas, R., & Jaitner, D. (2021). The relevance of stability and change of achieve- ment goals for self-regulated motor learning processes and outcomes. Sport, Exercise, and Performance Psychology. Advanced online publication. https://doi.org/10.1037/spy0000260. PsyArXiv:3yvna.
- Daumiller, M., Bieg, S., Dickhäuser, O., & Dresel, M. (2020). Humor in university teaching: Role of teachers’ achievement goals and self-efficacy for their use of content-related humor. Studies in Higher Education, 45(12), 2619–2633. https://doi.org/10.1080/03075079. 2019.1623772. PsyArXiv:hs8gn.
- Daumiller, M., & Dresel, M. (2020). Researchers’ achievement goals, work stress, and professional development: Results of three studies. Contemporary Educational Psychology, 61, 101843. Advanced online publication. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cedpsych.2020.101843. PsyArXiv:3cj5z.
- Daumiller, M., & Dresel, M. (2020). Teaching and research: Specificity and congruence of university faculty achievement goals. International Journal of Educational Research, 99. Advanced online publication. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijer.2019.08.002. PsyArXiv:q79n2.
- Daumiller, M., & Janke, S. (2020). Effects of performance goals and social norms on academic dishonesty in a test. British Journal of Educational Psychology, 90(2), 537–559. https://doi.org/10.1111/bjep.12310. PsyArXiv:c8uzk.
- Daumiller, M., Rinas, R., Olden, D., & Dresel, M. (2020). Academics’ motivations in professional training courses: Effects on learning engagement and learning gains. International Journal of Academic Development. Advanced online publication. https://doi.org/10.1080/1360144X.2020.1768396. PsyArXiv:yz2nj.
- Daumiller, M., Stupnisky, S., & Janke, S. (2020). Motivation of higher education faculty: Theoretical approaches, empirical evidence, and future directions. International Journal of Educational Research, 20. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijer.2019.101502.
- Daumiller, M., Dickhäuser, O., & Dresel, M. (2019). University instructors’ achievement goals for teaching. Journal of Educational Psychology, 111(1), 131–148. https://doi.org/10.1037/ edu0000271. PsyArXiv:pbmxy.
- Daumiller, M., & Dresel, M. (2019). Supporting self-regulated learning with digital media using motivational regulation and metacognitive prompts. Journal of Experimental Education, 87(1), 161–176. https://doi.org/10.1080/00220973.2018.1448744. PsyArXiv:evumb.
- Daumiller, M.*, & Janke, S.*. (2019). The impact of performance goals on cheating depends on how performance is evaluated. AERA Open, 5(4), 1–10. https://doi.org/10.1177/2332858419894276. PsyArXiv:drf6k.
- Daumiller, M., Siegel, S., & Dresel, M. (2019). Construction and validation of a Short Multidisciplinary Research Performance Questionnaire (SMRPQ). Research Evaluation, 28(3), 241–252. https://doi.org/10.1093/reseval/rvz009. PsyArXiv:k56xd.
- Daumiller, M. (2018). Motivation von Wissenschaftlern in Lehre und Forschung: Struktur, Eigenschaften, Bedingungen und Auswirkungen selbstbezogener Ziele. Wiesbaden: Springer VS. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-658-21182-0.
American Educational Research Association (AERA)
AERA Special Interest Group Motivation in Education
European Association for Research on Learning and Instruction (EARLI)
Junior Researchers of The European Association for Research on Learning and Instruction (JURE)
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Psychologie (DGPs) [German Psychological Society]
Fachgruppe Pädagogische Psychologie der DGPs [DGPs Division Pedagogical Psychology]
Gesellschaft für empirische Bildungsforschung (GEBF) [Society for Empirical Educational Research]
Reviewer activities (selection)
AERA Open | Asia Pacific Education Review | Behavioral Sciences | British Journal of Educational Psychology | Education Sciences | Educational Psychology | Ethics and Behavior | European Physical Education Review | Frontiers in Psychology | Frontline Learning Research | International Journal of Educational Research (Guest Editor) | International Journal of Psychology | Journal for Educational Research Online | Journal of Computer Assisted Learning | Journal of Educational Psychology | Journal of Medical Education and Training | Journal of Personnel Psychology | Journal on Efficiency and Responsibility in Education and Science | Journal on Efficiency end Responsibility in Education and Science | Learning and Individual Differences | Learning and Instruction | Learning and Motivation | Nursing Reports | Prävention und Gesundheitsförderung | Psych | Psychological Bulletin | Qualitative Research in Education | Studies in Educational Evaluation | Studies in Higher Education | Sustainability | Teaching and Teacher Education | Unterrichtswissenschaft | Vocations and Learning | Zeitschrift fur Erziehungswissenschaft | Conference Reviews for AERA, JURE, EARLI, GEBF, and GfHf