Job Announcement: Postdoctoral Researcher Position (E-13)
Joint Appointment: Technical University of Munich (TUM) & University of Augsburg
Project: Ethics of Predictive AI in Psychiatry
Contract Type: Full-time (100%) | TVL E-13 Pay Scale
Duration: 12 months with option to extend
Are you a dedicated and innovative researcher passionate about the ethical implications of predictive AI in psychiatry and mental healthcare? We invite you to join our dynamic team of leading experts and make a significant impact on the future of mental healthcare.
The Technical University of Munich (TUM) and the University of Augsburg (UoA) are seeking a talented Postdoctoral Researcher to work on an exciting interdisciplinary project exploring the Ethics of Predictive Artificial Intelligence in Psychiatry and Mental Healthcare. This collaborative research endeavor aims to address the profound ethical questions surrounding AI-driven predictive models in mental health diagnosis, treatment, and patient care. The postdoc will work under the joint supervision of Prof. Ruth Horn (UoA), Prof. Marcello Ienca (TUM), and Prof. Verina Wild (UoA).
The Post-Doc will be part of a wider interdisciplinary research project digiBRAVE aiming to build a digital infrastructure for the early detection of depression and recurrence of the disease and step-by-step digital therapy offerings to improve patient care. The tiered offerings include aspects of self-help: online therapies, digital case management and digital psycho-education. digiBRAVE is based at the University Hospital Augsburg, funded by the Bavarian State Ministry of Health and Care.
The position is funded 50% by TUM and 50% by UoA, and the Post Doc will be employed by both institutions.
- Conduct in-depth research on the ethical implications of predictive AI in psychiatry, including data privacy, informed consent, algorithmic transparency, and bias mitigation.
- Collaborate closely with the project's supervisory team: Prof. Ruth Horn (UoA), Prof. Marcello Ienca (TUM), and Prof. Verina Wild (UoA).
- Publish research findings in top-tier academic journals and present at conferences to disseminate knowledge and foster discussion.
- Organise a public engagement event for digiBRAVE
- Engage in interdisciplinary dialogues and foster connections with stakeholders in the field.
- Mentor and supervise graduate students, fostering a collaborative and inclusive research environment.
- A Ph.D. in a relevant field (e.g., ethics, philosophy, bioethics, computer science, psychology, or related disciplines).
- A strong track record of research excellence in ethics, AI ethics, or related areas, as evidenced by publications and presentations.
- Experience with interdisciplinary collaboration and an eagerness to work across boundaries.
- Excellent communication skills and a commitment to academic excellence.
- Knowledge of predictive AI and psychiatry is a plus but not required.
- Basic communication skills in German required
What We Offer:
- A vibrant and intellectually stimulating research environment at two prestigious institutions.
- Competitive salary on the TVL E-13 pay scale.
- Opportunity to engage with leading experts in the field of AI ethics and medical ethics.
- Professional development and career advancement opportunities.
- The chance to contribute to cutting-edge research with real-world impact.
How to Apply:
- Cover letter detailing your research interests and qualifications.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) including a list of publications.
- A writing sample (e.g., a publication or dissertation chapter).