Linguistic Links am Lehrstuhl für Englische Sprachwissenschaft
General Linguistic Matters
- British Council
- Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst (DAAD)
- Deutscher Anglistenverband
- LiNe (Linguistics Network)
- The Linguist List: this is both a large website with a great wealth of information on all relevant areas of linguistics (incl. further links) and a subscribable mailing list
- LIPP (Linguistik Internationales Promotionsprogramm an der Universität München)
- StuTS (Studentische Tagung für Sprachwissenschaft)
Corpus Linguistics and Corpora
- International Computer Archive of Medieval and Modern English (ICAME): documentation/manuals for available corpora of English, bibliographies and archive of Corpora mailing list
- Martin Weisser's Bookmarks for Corpus-based Linguists: very good collection!
- Phrases in English database, based on the BNC
- English-Corpora, by Mark Davies: a search interface for various corpora such as the BNC, CORE Corpus, Corpus of American Soap Operas, COCA, COHA, Corpus of US Supreme Cour Opinions, EEBO, GloWbE, Hansard Corpus, iWeb, NOW, Strathy Corpus Canada, The Movie Corpus, The TV Corpus, TIME Magazine Corpus, Wikipedia Corpus.
- To register under the unviersities' license for 500 search queries per day, please talk to your lecturerer.
- The Michigan Corpus of Academic Spoken English (MICASE): with search interface
- Laurency Anthony's (Ant)Software: Freeware toolkit for corpus creation and analysis.
- Sketch Engine: A data analysing tool, able to handle custom data sets, making it useful to handle your own corpora. Choose "Instiutional login", then search/enter "Universität Augsburg", finally log in by using your RZ-login details.
- Word Smith: A word pattern analysis tool. You can download the demo for free. For temporary full access visit our staff (Michelle Weckermann) in D 4038 during office hours.
Dictionaries of Language and Linguistics
Texts and Resources
- Early Modern English Books online (EEBO): Accessible while in the university network, i.e. on local computers or via VPN.
- Eighteenth Century Collections Online (ECCO): Accessible while in the university network, i.e. on local computers or via VPN.
- Oxford Text Archive: a collection of reliable electronic literary and linguistic resources
- Project Gutenberg: offers a large amount of free eBooks in many different languages to download.
- The Bible Gateway: Many different Bible translations, both in English and other languages.
- The Hansard, UK: transcriptions of the procedings in both houses of the British Parliament.
- The Hansard, Canada
- The Hansard, Australia
- Old Bailey Proceedings: a fully searchable edition of the largest body of texts detailing the lives of non-elite people ever published, containing 197,745 criminal trials held at London's central criminal court from 1764 to 1913.
- The Middle English Collection, University of Virginia: a large amount of Middle English texts
- Corpus of Middle English Prose and Verse, University of Michigan
- From Stage to Page: collection of medieval and Renaissance drama
- Summer Institute of Linguistics (SIL): provides a large number of fonts necessary for linguistics (e.g. IPA fonts)
Some Topical Websites
- Early Modern English: a collection of links