English and American Studies (Master)
The Master English and American Studies (MA EAS) at University Augsburg distinguishes itself by its versatile options for individual specialization. Moreover, it promotes technical skills as well as practical methods (eg. academic writing). The MA EAS also focuses on interdisciplinary research and professional experience (practical area) to provide students with a multilayered qualification for the job market and/or prepare them for a consecutive PhD project.
In our Master’s program you can establish your priorities either in literary or linguistic studies as well as in English or American studies. Furthermore, you can choose to supplement your major focus with either Didactics of English, Cultural or Literary Studies or Linguistics. Students may and are encouraged to propose own research interests to complement our diverse and wide range of courses.
Our experienced and very individual counseling of students, our excellently equipped library, the support for staying abroad and the uncomplicated ways of E-learning at University Augsburg attract students from all over the world. These aspects, amongst others, resulted in the regular honoring of the department of English and American Studies as one of the best in the entire country.
News - Practical Area
Due to the ongoing pandemic and the related lockdown, many possible activities for the practical area – such as working abroad or internships - have currently come to a halt. We acknowledge that and therefore during the winter term 2020/21, summer term 2021 and the winter term 2021/22 widen the list of accepted activities to include student assistant positions, attendance and participation of digital conferences, or independent study projects.
Please contact Dr. Christian Hoffmann for details about acceptable alternatives. Independent study projects can be arranged directly with one of the English professors in the field of your specific interest.
Application and Registration
- You have a Bachelor’s (or equivalent) degree with a significant focus on English linguistics and/or English and American literary studies?
- You are interested in deepening your skills and knowledge even further?
- You want to achieve a high standard MA degree with a specialized profile?
Our Master English and American Studies is the perfect choice for you!
Structure and Organization
You are one of our new students? Welcome!
Do you have any questions about...
- the structure of the study program?
- which courses to attend?
- how to create your course schedule?
- how to register for courses in the first place?
Job-market experience outside the university is an important factor in your resume and will improve your chances of finding a job in the area of your choice.
In our program, you therefore need to complete a practical module.
- What does this contain?
- What can I do for that module?
- How long must the internship/work experience be to get the 10 ECTS?
- When shall I do it?
- How do I register for it?
Department of English and American Studies
The Master English and American Studies belongs to the English Department.
- Into which sections is it organized?
- Which chairs are there and what is their special interest of research?
- How can I specialize myself and/or extend my knowledge in certain areas?
- What if I wish to go abroad?
- Where do I find literature for my term papers?
- Are there any extracurricular activities I might join?
- Are there any ways to network with my fellow students?
You find answers to these and similar questions on our English and American Studies website!
You are a MA student and do not know who to contact with questions, problems and the like? No worries, the text below provides you with the respective contact information:
Dr. Christian Hoffmann is the program coordinator and Nicole Frank the MA tutor for all MA students. You can and should reach out to the two of them with any problems you might encounter, questions you might have or anything else you need help with. You can reach them via this mail address. They will answer you as soon as possible.
You can, however, also contact them by visiting their office hours, the MA tutorial or making an appointment via mail.
Please note that, due to the ongoing pandemic, most of the staff is working from their homes and that their phone numbers might not work in this case.
Going abroad - in form of an internship or studying - is not mandatory but strongly recommended! You find more information here.
The contact person(s) for counseling and further information on crediting are listed below.
- Telefon: +49 821 598 - 5763